Are you a high school junior looking for a unique summer experience? Do you have a passion for science and are thinking about pursuing a college degree in science?
This unique research internship is designed to offer intellectually curious, highly motivated high school students, with a strong aptitude in the biomedical sciences a total-immersion experience in laboratory research. This program allows select applicants to experience a summer internship in a research laboratory at Sanford Research. Each intern will have their own research project, working alongside scientists in a premier research environment. At the culmination of the program, students will prepare a scientific poster for presentation at the Sanford Research Summer Symposium on August 2016.
PROMISE Scholars will be enrolled in a 3-credit, USD elective course and will be awarded a $2500 scholarship.
- Strong interest in a career in biomedical research
- Entering senior year in the fall of the upcoming academic year (home-schooled students are eligible)
- Must be at least 16 years old by June 1st
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Committed to participating in the entire summer program for a minimum of 35 hours/week
- Candidates are highly encouraged to participate in other Sanford PROMISE programming for an introduction to the research environment. Opportunities include: the Research Shadowing Program, the Biomedical Research Investigations, and the Community Lecture Series.
Available Research Labs
Please click here for a description of the research and laboratories available to take Scholars.
Apply today to be a PROMISE Scholar.
- Applications available: November 29, 2016
- Application deadline: January, 27, 2017
- Students will be notified of applications status by February 28, 2017.